Khan Nayyar & Associates, LLC

Call Us 630-LAWYERS | 630-529-9377

Se Habla EspaƱol

DuPage County Family Immigration Lawyers

lombard il family immigrant visa lawyer

Immigration Attorneys for Spouses, Children, and Fiancé Visas in Villa Park and Surrounding Areas

Family-based immigrant visas allow the family members of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to enter and remain in the United States. If you are a U.S. citizen who has a family member in another country, you can file a petition for an immigrant or nonimmigrant family visa. However, the process of filing for a family visa can be taxing and stressful, which is why it is essential to consult an experienced immigration attorney.

At Khan Nayyar & Associates, LLC, we understand the hopes and visions that families have when they pursue visas for their loved ones. We aggressively fight for our clients in family immigration cases so they can be reunited with their loved ones. If you are applying for a family immigrant visa, contact our immigration lawyers today.

Our immigration attorneys assist individuals with the following visas and petitions:

  • Immediate relative immigrant visas
  • Family preference immigrant visas
  • Immigrant visa for a spouse of a U.S. citizen (IR1 or CR1)
  • Nonimmigrant visas for fiancés of U.S. citizens (K-1)
  • Petitions for alien relatives, Form I-130

How Do I Petition for My Spouse or Fiancé/Fiancée to Come to the U.S.?

There are two ways in which the foreign spouse of a U.S. citizen can come to live in the United States. The U.S. citizen can petition for an IR1 or CR1. Both are immigrant visas for spouses of U.S. citizens. The IR1 visa is used if the couple has been married for more than two years. If the couple has been married for less than two years, then a CR1 visa is used. In order to apply for an IRI or CR1, the U.S. citizen sponsoring the visa petition will have to complete Form I-130 (petition for alien relatives). In addition, the petitioner (or sponsor) of the visa must sign an Affidavit of Support. Once the form has been signed, the sponsor of the petition assumes financial responsibility for the alien relative.

Unlike an immigrant visa for a spouse, a nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé or (K-1) permits the foreign fiancé or fiancée of a U.S. citizen to stay in the U.S. for a period of 90 days in order for the marriage to take place. To be eligible for a K-1 visa, any former marriages of the U.S. citizen and his or her fiancé(e) must have legally ended and the couple must physically meet each other within two years of filing the visa petition.

How Do I Petition for a Family Member to Come to the United States?

If the family member that wishes to enter the country is a U.S. citizen's spouse, unmarried child (under 21 years of age) or parent, he or she may be eligible for an immediate relative immigrant visa. If the family member does not share any of the previously mentioned relationships with the U.S. citizen, he or she may be eligible for a family preference immigrant visa. Notably, not all family preference immigrant visas require the sponsors to be U.S. citizens. The visa category, family second preference, permits the spouses, minor children, and unmarried children (age 21 or over) of green card holders (lawful permanent residents) to enter and stay in the U.S.

Dedicated Family Immigration Lawyers in Villa Park IL

Applying for a family-based immigrant visa can be a complex process. Understanding what documents are needed and what immigration route is best for you and your loved one can be difficult. At Khan Nayyar & Associates, LLC, we make the process simpler. Our immigration attorneys will be by your side throughout the case, and because we believe in keeping an open line of communication with our clients, you can rely on us to promptly respond to any questions and concerns you have. Call us at 630-LAWYERS or contact us via our website. We serve clients in Lombard and DuPage County.

American Immigration Lawyers Association Chicago Bar Association National Employment Lawyers Association Illinois State Bar Association
Back to Top